For some on the NDIS, laundry is challenging or even impossible. We’re often asked if the NDIS offers funding for laundry services, so we’re covering that in detail here.
In short: yes, the NDIS can offer funding for laundry services, but the answer will depend on your plan and personal goals.
Let’s take a look at what can impact whether or not you’re eligible for funding.
Laundry services the NDIS may cover
Laundry-related assistance––like ironing and washing––can be funded under two areas of NDIS Core Supports – Assistance with Daily Life.
- Support at home: includes someone coming into the home to complete tasks like washing, hanging, ironing, and folding regularly.
- Linen service: can include collection and drop off, washing and drying of sheets, towels, and possibly clothing at an external site.
Are you eligible for linen services?
The NDIS may cover laundry tasks if the support meets the ‘reasonable and necessary’ test. The support must also relate to the participant’s disability.
To meet this test the support must be:
- Specifically listed in the participant’s plan (this is the most likely way to get coverage for laundry services) or…
- Strongly related to a goal in the plan
If the support isn’t listed on the plan, it can be helpful to get a letter of support from a qualified health professional. This will bolster the claim and increase the chances of being approved for funding. An LAC or a planner can also provide a letter of support.
If you cannot meet either of these requirements, then it’s unlikely that you’ll be eligible for laundry services.
Is it ‘reasonable and necessary’?
Keep in mind, regardless of the support you’d like, it must always meet the reasonable and necessary test.
With this, there are six key questions taken into account. These are:
- Is the support listed in my plan?
- Will the support help me engage in the community?
- Is the desired support value for money?
- Will the support be effective and beneficial?
- Is it reasonable to expect society to fund the support?
- Is the NDIS the most appropriate funding source?
We’re only a call away
We know that understanding what’s covered isn’t always easy. That’s why we’re here to help support you to make the most of your plan.
Our friendly team is only a phone call or email away.
Contact us today on 1300 60 33 89 or send us an email email@example.com