Engaging in meaningful employment is important, but for those who experience disability, unfortunately, there are many barriers to entry.
Some providers aim to change this through support, education, and programs designed to assist participants in finding employment that suits them.
One of those providers is the Social Wellness Foundation which offers Coffee with a purpose––a program making a difference for participants.
What is the Social Wellness Foundation?
The Social Wellness Foundation is an organization that offers Coffee with a purpose: an eight-week program designed to assist in filling the gap between people living with disabilities and the general public.
The program prioritises cafe-specific and transferable skills to help participants craft resumes, explore career paths, and find meaningful employment.
How does the Coffee with a purpose program work?
The program operates across eight weeks. The weeks allow participants to build skills gradually. This includes a program of:
- Week one: introduction to cafe operations.
- Week two: workplace ethics and problem-solving
- Week three: customer service skills and self-confidence
- Week four: time management skills
- Week five: cash handling skills
- Week six: food and non-alcoholic beverage preparation
- Week seven: resume building and career exploration
- Week eight: employment experience and transition planning
What are the benefits of the program?
Coffee with a purpose can help those who experience disability to build a range of skills. These include:
- Customer service skills
- Boosted self-confidence
- Financial literacy and cash handling abilities
- Time management and multitasking
- Cafe operations
- Food preparation
Where is the program located?
The program is located in Victoria. The Social Wellness Foundation has a cafe in Fitzroy North.
How can I get in touch?
Learn more about the program on the Social Wellness Foundation website. There you can make a referral and join the program.